BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, July 22, 2011

How should I feel?

Read an article today, not a big surprise there, I mean, we all read them, right? Anyway, this one was about Dr Zahi Hawass, the Minister of Antiquities in Egypt.  He was fired...

Not really sure how I feel about this. He was one of the few that I enjoyed reading about, learning from and even watching on tv.  His exuberance was what kept me inspired.  The news here said that the new regime is treating all the people of the old regime as though they were thieves. 

Granted, I didn't take everything he said with 100% acceptance, thought I truly enjoyed the way he interpreted and even presented the information to the public.  Look at everything he has done to increase the love and fascination of Egyptology and archeology.  Look at how he increased tourisn in Egypt. He's brought so many artifacts back to Egypt, he brought them back because he views them as the property and history of the people of Egypt.

"He was the Mubarak of antiquities," said Nora Shalaby, an activist and archaeologist. "He acted as if he owned Egypt's antiquities, and not that they belonged to the people of Egypt." Really?  I don't believe it, if this were true then tell me why was he trying to get the antiquities back to Egypt from other countries saying they were Egypt's history, the history of the people?

Yes, I will admit that he didn't think outside the box on everything and that he was a bit pushy with his opinions, but he was a great man who did great things for Egypt.  By the things the news has been saying it's mostly because the protesters had been calling for the removal of everyone that had been there during Mubarak's reign. 

Thoughts?

0 comments: