BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

One hot night...

Yesterday we had a few power blinks, then later on in the evening we had a storm roll through. It was a lot of thunder and lightning and some rain. But that's not what this post is about...

At around 7:30pm I noticed that the AC unit hadn't turned on and it was getting hotter in the house. After checking the circuit breaker and changing the batteries in the thermostat on the wall it was obvious that the unit outside was dead. I must have called about half a dozen placed that claimed to have 24hr emergency service.

It wasn't until around 1015pm that I finally got in touch with someone who was willing to come out and fix it. The add in the Yellow pages said "Call anytime to speak to the owner", I thought it was just a marketing ploy, boy was I wrong.

By 1045pm a guy called me back, he called back again to get our address and said he'd be here in 30-40 minutes...exactly 40 minutes later he was pulling up in front of the house. Turned out he was the owner. Talk about true to your add.

Anyway, he found the problem, which was the capacitor, it had been blown by a power spike. When he did the test with the multi-meter he was able to discern the problem right off the bat. Instead of giving off 35 volts like normal, the capacitor was giving off 3000 volts. Within fifteen or so minutes he had the new capacitor in and the unit worked again. We had cold air coming in through the vents within seconds. By twelve midnight it was all done and working great again.

Granted it cost us a good chunk of money that we didn't technically have, but at least we have AC again, which is a very good thing in my book.

This makes me wonder though, could the capacitor have started to go with the initial power spike that blew out our T.V. and fried the memory chip on our DVR? I guess we'll never really know.

The really bad thing about this whole thing is that Bug didn't sleep through the night, she woke up every hour on the hour starting at 215am. I'm a bit tired and groggy, but I know that I have to keep chugging along with my day. It's a good thing that she's not cranky today, she's in a really good mood, playing, going all over the place, yelling at and talking to the cats and the dog.

Now we have an appointment scheduled for the 5th of September to have the air ducts cleaned and sanitized. Next on our list will be having the carpets professionally cleaned.

0 comments: