BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Monday...

The day started off with an odd feeling of dread, maybe it came from the nightmare I had earlier that morning. At around 3am I woke up with a start, in my dream I heard gunfire and screams, no real details. I never should have watched the news yesterday morning. I turned on the tv like I do every morning to turn the Disney channel on for Bug, and there it was on the news...mass murder at VA Tech. Scary is one word to describe it. I mean, we've always thought of college campuses as a safe haven...not any more.

Kids bring guns to school, and I'm not talking college or high school kids, I'm talking about grade school kids. As it stands I'm putting serious thought into getting certified or licensed, or what ever it takes, to home school Bug to keep her safe.

It's frightening how the world is going now a days. Every time you turn on the tv you see murder, rape, disease, famine, arson... is this the world we're leaving for our children? Every time I turn around I'm seeing some horrific thing on the news, and it seems to be getting closer and closer to home. You read the paper, or watch the news and you can see it, kids who look all strung out on drugs, kids having babies, kids with guns. Don't parents give a damn anymore about what their kids are doing? I mean come on! All you have to do is talk to your kids about not doing drugs, about safe sex, about guns and safety and about the dangers of gangs. How difficult is that? My mom talked to me about those things and I stayed clear of them...until I met my ex, that's when it all went down hill. But I brought myself back to the surface and look at me now. I have a great husband, a beautiful daughter and a good life. Granted it could be better, you know, more money and such, maybe a bigger house, but that's something that we can work on. But all this other crap...it can be avoided. We have the power to keep our kids safe, we have the power to change things, we have the power to make a difference. But do we use that power? No, not until a tragedy like the VA Tech massacre happens, or the Twin Towers, or Somalia. And when people do use that power it's to speak out for a short time, then they go back to the way they were.

I remember when the Towers crumbled, it's a day I'll never forget. People remembered for a while, they were nice to one another for a while...a year at the most...and now they seem to have forgotten. Why? Because it's easier to forget then to deal with what happened. I say deal with it! Deal with what's happening in your world! Deal with what's happening in your neighborhood! Deal with what's happening in your schools! Stand up and speak up! For gods sake, do something! Don't just sit there with your thumbs up your asses waiting for someone else to stand up and do something. If you wait...nothing is going to happen.

Okay, I'm going to get off my soap box for now, but I'm far from finished with this rant...so don't even get me started.

0 comments: